BOXING DAY TEST
Australia were commanding winners of the third test at the WACA to reclaim the Ashes. They now lead the series 3-0 and it’s likely to be 4-0 after the Boxing Day Test at the MCG. There are question marks over the fitness of Mitchell Starc with a bruised heel and he would be sorely missed if he was to not come up but Australia have enough depth to still dominate this contest. I’ll take the $1.55 on offer for Australia to win the Test and roll that through a few of my other favourite multi options this weekend. Steve Smith once again showed he is the best batsman in the game right now with his double hundred in the WACA Test and I’ll back him to be the leading runscorer in the first innings for the Aussies at $3.20. With question marks over Starc I’ll have something on Josh Hazlewood to be the leading wicket for the Aussies in the first innings at $3.50. While he has been disappointing in all bar one innings so far this summer I still have belief in Joe Root and I think he is too good a player to not make a big statement in one of these last 2 tests. I’ll be backing him at $4 to be England’s leading runscorer in the first innings.
It’s tremendous to have the Big Bash back for another year and our Perth Scorchers kick off their campaign against the Sydney Sixers on Saturday. While the Scorchers are missing a few of their key players I was not impressed by the Sixers loss to Sydney Thunder on Tuesday and I’ll back the Scorchers as the outsiders at $2.10. I also like the Adelaide Strikers to defeat the Sydney Thunder tonight. The multi is paying $3.71.
I’ll bank on Sydney FC and Adelaide United to win their fixtures this weekend. The multi price is $2.86.
I will take a two leg multi which requires Stoke to win at home against West Brom and Southampton to defeat Huddersfield. $3.53 is the multi quote.
The Wildcats hit the road to take on the Illawarra Hawks and I think they can maintain their excellent recent form. I’ll take a multi with them to win into the Adelaide 36ers to beat the Cairns Taipans. $2.42 is on offer for the multi.
Another great weekend of racing is ahead of us and a quality program out at Ascot tomorrow.
My best bets of the weekend are as follows :
- Moonee Valley Saturday Race 7 Number 4 Crystal Spirit (TABtouch Fixed Odds Price $11) : Ultra-consistent galloper who has had 5 career starts for a win and 4 seconds. Steps up in class here but has drawn nicely in barrier 6 and has the services of Star WA Jockey Damian Lane. Has never run a bad race in his life and at the good value odds on offer I’m happy to be with him on an each way basis.
- Warwick Farm Saturday Race 6 Number 1 Test The World (TABtouch Fixed Odds Price $2.50) : High quality mare who has had 10 starts for 6 wins and 4 placings. Has had 4 tries over this distance for 3 wins and a second and I liked what I saw from her in victory last time out over the 1100 metres. Will get a gun run from barrier one and looks very hard to stop.
- Ascot Saturday Race 2 Number 2 Touch Of Silver (TABtouch Fixed Odds Price $2.25) : Get back, run-on style of horse who was big in defeat last start when beaten less than a length by Wrinkly who had things all it’s own way up front. Is aiming up at the Perth Cup and this race looks like a nice stepping stone for him. Will be charging home all over the top of them late.
- Ascot Saturday Race 3 Number 2 Remember Berlin (TABtouch Fixed Odds Price $4.40) : Looks to be building towards a win and was an excellent performance last time out when beaten a narrow margin behind Get Over It. Steps out to the 1500 metres for the first time here but recent runs would suggest the extra trip will be right up his alley. Very reliable type and at close to each way odds looks worth supporting.
- Mandurah Friday Race 10 Number 6 Issue (No Price Available) : Bolted in for us last week when one of our best bets and I can’t see any reason why the same thing won’t be happening tonight. Has very good early zip and with a vacant box drawn on his inside he should get the room required to explode on the scene and make his own luck. In this sort of grade he is always tough to beat.